The latest team to join TGL hails from San Francisco, led by Marc Lasry's Avenue Sports Fund and NBA superstar Stephen Curry.
Five down, one to go. San Francisco is confirmed as the latest addition ahead of the first season of TGL presented by SoFi, set to tee off in early 2025 on ESPN and ESPN+. San Francisco's ownership group is led by Marc Lasry's Avenue Sports Fund and Stephen Curry. Also part of the ownership group will be fellow Golden State Warriors stars Andre Iguodala and Klay Thompson.
“Avenue is thrilled to be working with Stephen Curry, in partnership with TMRW Sports as a founding TGL team,” Mr. Lasry said. “Our ownership group is excited to become stewards of TGL San Francisco and to represent Northern California, which is the center of tech innovation and is a perfect location for a TGL team in this extraordinary new sports league.
“As we move towards the launch of TGL’s inaugural season in early 2025, TGL San Francisco will be focused on developing an extraordinary team of talented players and we are excited to have Andre and Klay as part of our amazing ownership group.”
Lasry, co-founder and CEO of Avenue Capital, was the co-owner of the Championship-winning Milwaukee Bucks franchise in the NBA. His investment in TGL San Francisco is one of the first to be made by Avenue Sports Fund, in a strategic partnership with Curry.
TGL San Francisco is the second Californian club in TGL, setting up a potential budding rivalry with Los Angeles Golf Club, owned by Alexis Ohanian, Serena Williams, and Venus Williams, as well as limited partners the Antetokounmpo brothers, Alex Morgan, Servando Carrasco, and Michelle Wie West.
TGL Team Ownership Groups
Currently five of six team ownership groups have been announced and their combined sports team ownership experience spans the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Premier League, NASCAR, MLS, and NWSL:
- Atlanta Drive GC: led by Arthur M. Blank, AMB Sports and Entertainment (Atlanta Falcons, Atlanta United, PGA TOUR Superstores)
- TGL Boston: led by John Henry, Tom Werner, Mike Gordon, and Fenway Sports Group (Boston Red Sox, Liverpool FC, Pittsburgh Penguins, RFK Racing)
- Los Angeles Golf Club: led by Alexis Ohanian (Angel City FC), Seven Seven Six, Serena Williams, and Venus Williams; as well as limited partners the Antetokounmpo brothers, Alex Morgan, Servando Carrasco, and Michelle Wie West
- TGL New York: led by Steven A. Cohen (New York Mets), Cohen Private Ventures
- TGL San Francisco: a group led by Marc Lasry's Avenue Sports Fund and Stephen Curry; as well as co-investors Andre Iguodala and Klay Thompson
Los Angeles Golf Club and Atlanta Drive GC have their brands and team names established. TGL New York, TGL Boston and TGL San Francisco will each soon announce their official team names. And there is still one additional team left to reveal, which will complete the list of the initial six teams that will take to the tee box at SoFi Center in early 2025.
On Wednesday, the final five players were confirmed for the season one roster: Patrick Cantlay, Lucas Glover, Wyndham Clark, Kevin Kisner and Min Woo Lee. In total, 24 players have committed and they'll be distributed across the six teams to create four-man rosters. Stay tuned for those roster announcements in the coming weeks.